Following a period of poor health, I got deeply involved in health issues and patient relationships with the NHS. I am a dedicated, involved and concerned patient, learning and listening at every occasion.
Colin Stodel is a cancer patient with other long term conditions including hypertension. As a patient that “slipped through the net” or as otherwise defined, did not meet the appropriate timing as designated for cancer patients and treatment, decided to get well involved with the system. He is determined to help others in this area. Colin is retired from the IT industry and uses his time across a number of platforms to aid and signpost patients through the NHS.
Colin has been Vice Chairman of his practice Patient Participation Group, a member of the West Herts PPI, a volunteer Ambassador for Healthwatch Hertfordshire where his time is spent in talking to groups of “seldom heard” patients on navigating the NHS and problem solving.
Colin is an active member of Macmillan Cancer Support Patients Group and gives input into new ideas and innovations.
He is by nature a volunteer and spends a lot of time helping West Herts Hospital Teaching Trust in promoting its student volunteering programme and is currently a mentor of over 200 students volunteering in the Trust.
Condition interest or area of knowledge
- Patient/clinician relationships at primary and acute care levels
- Interaction of Social Prescribing for patients and carers
- Cardiac Outcomes and their measurement
- Oncology treatment in the East of England
- Acute Care relocation and re-development in the East of England
- Health Education in “harder to reach communities”
- Issues/Communication with local GP Practices
- Communication and use of Genomics at Patient Level
- Introduction of “cutting edge “techniques to measure Blood Pressure readings
- Lymphoma and Renal Carcinoma
- Type 2 diabetes
Where I can help
- UK (National)
Organisations I am involved with:
- West Herts Health Trust
- North and East Herts Health Trust
- Barts Health NHS Trust: St Bartholomew’s Hospital
- William Harvey Heart Clinic
- East of England Cardiac Network
- Mount Vernon Cancer Centre
- Faiths Forum
- Bishop of London Health Alliance
- Kings Fund
- West Hertfordshire Hospitals Teaching NHS Trust
- Herts Valleys Clinical Commissioning Group
- Healthwatch Hertfordshire
- Macmillan Cancer Support
- Jewish Voluntary Network